The fun of cooking increases when you are accompanied by your child in the kitchen. But for some mothers, cooking becomes a chore when they need to take care o their children in the kitchen. In fact, they need to take special care since the place is kitchen where there are lots of chances for
The fun of cooking increases when you are accompanied by your child in the kitchen. But for some mothers, cooking becomes a chore when they need to take care o their children in the kitchen. In fact, they need to take special care since the place is kitchen where there are lots of chances for safety hazards. Therefore, it is essential to learn the basic lessons on kitchen safety with children.
In this article, you are going to learn some kitchen safety tips, especially when you are going to cook with your child.
Essential Kitchen Safety Tips:
- The first and foremost rule for cooking safely with toddlers is that you need to supervise your toddler all the time in kitchen and level let the child stay alone in the kitchen.
- Always use apron in the kitchen. Apron can protect the clothes in different situations. In fact, you can add extra padding that can protect from splitting hot water or splattered oil. You should also make an apron for your toddler and whenever he enters the kitchen, teach him to put it on. You little toddler will definitely enjoy wearing the ‘Chef’s’ dress.
- Once your child starts to walk and step in the kitchen, you should install quality safety latches on the kitchen cabinets and drawers that come within the reach of your child.
- Kitchens are equipped with different types of sharp utensils, household cleaning products, wastebaskets etc. Keep all of them inside the latched cabinets and drawers so that your child is unable to reach them.
- When you are in the kitchen, you must have adequate understanding about the fire safety. You should also teach your child about the basic rules of fire safety such as when to call 911, how to use fire extinguisher and how to extinguish the grease fire. Teaching these lessons from the childhood makes your child aware and responsible about the basic kitchen safety rules.
- Your kitchen may be well-equipped with various electric appliances. However, those appliances can be the cause of safety hazard if not used properly. Never let the appliance cord dangling from the counter-top. Out of curiosity, your child could pull that cord and consequently, the heavy appliance may bring onto him. Hence, if you want to keep your kitchen safe for children, you should immediately arrange the entire appliance cords as well as electric plug points out of the reach of your child.
- Another important tip of cooking safely with toddlers is that try to use the back burners of the stove and turn the utensils’ handles towards the back side of the stove as it prevents your child pulling the hot pots on himself. In addition, you should also remove the knobs of your kitchen stove so that the little fingers cannot turn them on. While removing the knob, keep one within your reach and always store it inside the drawer while not using.
- As soon as spills fall on the floor, clean them up immediately as such foreign objects or wet floors often cause serious injuries for the child. Keep a rag or mob handy and try to explain the importance of cleaning up the spills from kitchen floor to your toddler.
– The Paranoid Parents